For this week of the course, we were assigned to produce a collage of the case studies of the given house list to us. However the tricky part was that we were also given two keyword phrases for a initiator point.
Initially I started with analyzing my keywords;
Spread confrontation: for confrontation there should be at least two contrary things. clashing of two confronted things.
Temporal space: temporal is something related with a particular time.
- Le Corbusier, Villa Savoye / Poissy, France, 1929
- Adalberto Libera, Villa Malaparte / Naples, Italy, 1938
- Richard Meier, Saltzman House / Long Island, 1969
- Kazuyo Sejima, Ryue Nishizawa & Associates / SANAA, Moriyama Apartments / Japan, 2005
- Erkut Şahinbaş, Atrium Evi, Muğla, 2014
- Rem Koolhaas / OMA, Villa Dall’Ava / France, 1991
- Shigeru Ban Glass Shutter House / Japan, 2003
- John Hejduk, Wall House 2 / Netherlands, 2001
- Can Çinici, Microloft I Yarasa, İstanbul, 2013
So then on, I did a detailed research about the houses and the case studies. According to those case studies that I have, I searched them according the confronted ones. In other words, I tried to group them according to the contrasting ones.
- The Wall House by John Hejduk, the whole composition was divided and disconnected by an enormous wall. With this way architect differentiated the spaces according to their functions. Villa Savoye by Le Corbusier, the private spaces were situated around the communal, outdoor terraced that is separated from the living area by a sliding glass window.
- Villa malaperte by Adalberto Libera, the geometry of the design itself generated a foreign language than its environment. Villa Dall’ava by Rem Koolhaas, the whole composition is influenced by its site.
- Saltzman House by Richard Meier, it is designed as monolithic mass.Moriyama Apartments by Kazuyo Sejima, Ryue Nishizawa & Associates, the composition is consisted of 10 different independent volumes.
- Wall House 2, design is focused on both flat 2 dimensional and pure volumes. (this one creates a confrontation in itself.)
These were some of the confronted things that I could find. Here is my collage below;
These are the 3D collages that I have produced;
In this one I designed different geometrical formed spaces to confront each other (Villa Malaparte and its environment). In the confronted parts, the spaces are reacting each other and changes its form (black parts are the ones reacted). Also I lifted up some of the spaces to interrupt the relation with their environment (as like Villa Savoye, Wall House 2 and Saltzman House) and I tried to show them as free standing masses.
This is the first revised one that I have produced. With the black frames I tried to design open spaced such as Villa Savoye’s terrace. Then I designed more enclosed spaces opening to the black one as private spaces. In this time, I have designed temporal spaces where two spaces are confronted. With the grey material I produced those temporal spaces which are again in a different geometrical form. Also those are creating a central axis in the design similarly to Wall House 2 has.