This week we have learned what section drawing is. It is kind of drawing that shows a structure’s interior parts when it is cut by a straight plane. Our instructors gave us a model owned by an old freshman year student to draw sections of it. This time we only cut the structure by a vertical plane and drew it isometric.
As you could see in my previous post more detailed, we were assigned to produce a diagram from a part of the movie that we have choosen. (New Semester | Diagram | Spatial Experiences). In the second stage of the assignment, as groups, we were assigned to produce a collage work from the diagrams that we have produced. Again this collage diagram should needed to hold the idea of our keyword’s.
Finally new semester is started after this long period of holiday. And also new semester has came with new studio! 🙂 Yes, we moved out to our brand new campus and of course to a brand new studio. The new studio serves utterly different experiences to us. I hope it will bring luck and success 🙂
We have started the new semester rapidly. Our new topic is “analysis o spatial experiences”. As groups of 4 members, we were given a list of movies to watch one of them and select a scene from that movie to analyse the spatial experiences. We have chosen Inception. After I watched the movie I have selected a scene which includes several different spaces which are connected with an imaginary elevator. After I analysed the scene I have decided on my keywords: Layers / Levels / Different Experiences / Broken Continuity.
So I have produced a diagram:
After the critique hours I have improved my diagram:
Here is my final drawing assignment of Architectural Communication Techniques course above. It is an isometric drawing of METU preparatory school additional building. Before I start to drawing, I visited the campus of METU to better understand the building and analyse it with comparing with the other buildings that have been located in the campus.
Here are some photos of the Language School Preparatory building below.
Final we could reach the end of our first semester. This semester assignments were all corelated with eachother. All of the assignments were the one step further of the previous ones. So that, we were responsible for our every step in the final jury. And in the last step of the assignement, we were allowed to use every operatios such as tear & fold, scale & stretch. Our instructors were expecting us to discover and use the potential of these operations. In result, I have used those operations to promote my strategy. My strategy was “integration of dense and less dense group”.
Here are some snapshots from my final jury 🙂
This week we learned something brand new for us which is called “Orthographic Projection”. Firstly, in the lecture I thought I understood everything about orthgraphic projection. However, whe it was time to draw, everything started to be complicated for me. And another tough part was about our object. Our object was can opener! It was the first time that I saw that object in my whole life! Morever, it was the single object in the studio that everyone tried to measure to draw! Yet, in the end result has satisfied me and I think I have learned it well even after those difficult hours.
After the previous assignment, our instructures wanted us to produce a diagram of it. It was something new for us. We started to producing it and after that they wanted us to make a model with the same units but one element of that unit should be streched and also we should have be in accordance with that diagram. I tried a lot to reach that model but I couldn’t. And then, I realized that the diagram was so specific to that previous model. So that, I tried to produce a generic diagram as possible and I tried to make units grouped according to their relations. This time it was lots more easy. So that I could reach this model. In addition, stretching operation made me gain new relations even though I lost some of them. It was a good experience that taught me lot of useful things.
We kicked off to a new stage of our training which is called CO-MO-RO, in other words copy-move-rotate. Firstly, we determined a plane which is limited with 20 cm2. Ad by using that element we introduced a unit. My unit includes 5 elements so that I could make my unit oriented every direction. That increased my unit’s potential in terms of assembling them together. After that, I tried to study the relations between units and their variations. I tried make them strong relations as possible and tried to add complexity to my model.
In this 5 days holiday, I had a chance to read previous assigned chapters of Towards an Architecture. I’ve gone over those chapters because I wanted to make everything crystal clear. At the very last I’ve read the “Regulating Lines”, in other words “construction lines”. In this chapter Le Corbusier lays emphasis on significance of layout of an construction. That is the thing that I’ve always been heard but never gave importace to. Whereas, I’ve learned that regulating lines makes us avoid arbitrary results. But they can still give us great satisfactory.
The thing which was riveting for me was the use of regulating lines even in the earlier eras. After primitive humans settled to a place which is optimum for their needs, they started to build new habitat. But they did not started doing it randomly. They were planning everything even though they did not have a tool to help them measure anything. They used their legs, fingers, steps to measure things. So that they did not take planning for granted. It was so surprising for me because even they didn’t have units of measurements they used regulating lines.
I have realized that regulating lines provides the compatible compositions of the proportions, lines and the colours. And they awaken us to see senseful and coherent relations clearly. Namely, we should use regulating lines as a tool to help us but not for a solution.